Dashboard Forums Ask a Question Negotiating compensation Reply To: Negotiating compensation

• Colette

April 14, 2022 at 7:14 pm

I think it’s important to keep the timing of this question in context (Jan. 2022), as I think general trends in the market can shift mildly or wildly (i.e. pre-pandemic v COVID times). When starting your search, you need to identify what are your absolute priorities and deal-breakers. Some folks focus on base salary, for some title is more important, or the flexibility of working remotely. You need to know what is/isn’t important for you. When you start a new position with a new company, the first 90 days are typically the trial period. In 90 days, both sides can look and evaluate “is this working?”. In the current hot employment market, I’ve seen folks stay one-three months with a company, and jump ship because it wasn’t a fit, for whatever reason. I don’t think asking/negotiating for a trial period is essential as it’s already happening. Save your bargaining power for another important ask. If you’re adding a value in a short few months, they won’t want to lose you and may be open to a consulting arrangement.at that time. Good luck.